Where Do You Want To Go?

Home Search

This website uses a number of cookies. Click here for details.

SEN Parent Information

Special Educational Needs Parent Information

Knowsley Local Offer (SEND)

Kirkby Church of England Primary School is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites.

SEN Leaflet August 2017

At Kirkby Church of England Primary School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve their full potential at school.  In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey.  Quality teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.

Inclusion Team are:

Miss Mair Hindmarsh – Head Teacher/Safeguarding Office

Mrs Sue Wavell - Special Needs Co-ordinator/YR Teacher

Miss Kate Knox / Miss Wendy Scott - Learning Mentor/Attendance Officer

Mrs Caroline Collins SEND Governor

Mrs Phil Shotton - Learning Support Teacher

Ms Michelle Hastings YN Teacher

Mrs Lisa McPhillips YR Teacher

Mrs Jenny Dwyer Class 1 Teacher

Ms Sarah Melville Class 1 Teacher

Mrs Kim Woodham Class 2 Teacher

Mrs Collette Keegan Class 3 Teacher

Mrs D’reen Williams Class 4 Teacher

Mr Simon Woods Class 5 Teacher

Mrs Lyndsey Cashman Class 6 Teacher

Mr David Tennant Class 7 Teacher

Dale Mawson Class 8 Teacher

Mr Mrs Sue Bannister Class 9 Teacher

Mrs Amanda O’Hare PPA Teacher

Mrs Ann Schumacher Teaching Assistant

Mrs Lynn Crighton Teaching Assistant

Mrs Nadine Maxwell Teaching Assistant

Miss Kerry Dunphy Teaching Assistant

Miss Pauline White Teaching Assistant

Miss Wendy Scott Teaching Assistant

Miss Jenny Campbell Teaching Assistant

Miss Suzanne McCrossan Teaching Assistant

Miss Adele Hampson Teaching Assistant

Miss Laura Burgan Teaching Assistant

Miss Jayne Burgan Teaching Assistant

Mrs Doreen McIntyre Teaching Assistant

Mrs Sue Smith Teaching Assistant

Miss Elaine Parr Extended Schools Manager/Teaching Assistant

Children and Families Bill 2013

The Children and Families Bill underpins wider reforms to ensure all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background.  The Bill will reform the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs.

The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them.

A child or young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

- has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age,

- or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

There are many SEN terms that are abbreviated which can lead to confusion (even for us!). Below is a glossary of the most used SEN terms.


(ADD) Attention Deficit Disorder

(ADHD) Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder

(ASC) Autistic Spectrum Condition

(BESD) Behavioural Emotional & Social Difficulties

(MLD) Moderate Learning Difficulty

(SPLD) Specific Learning Difficulty

(DCD) Developmental Co-ordination Disorder

(EAL) English as an Additional Language

(EHA)Early Health Assessment formerly known as (CAF) Common Assessment Framework

SENCO Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator

(LST) Learning Support Teacher

(SAS) School Attendance Service

(CAMHS) Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service

(EP) Educational Psychologist

(OT) Occupational Therapist

(SALT) Speech & Language Therapy

(HI) Hearing Impairment

(VI) Vision Impairment

(IBP) Individual Behaviour Plan

(PSP) Pastoral Support Programme

(IEP) Individual Education Plan

(PEP) Personal Education Plan

(SEN) Special Educational Needs

(SEND) Special Educational Needs & Disability

(COP) Code of Practice

(S) Safeguarding

(CLA) Child Looked After

(ISR) in School Review

(KS) Key Stage

(NC) National Curriculum

(FSM) Free School Meals  

(LA) Local Authority

All Knowsley maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

The Special Needs Coordinator

Responsible for:

- Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

Ensuring that you are:

- involved in supporting your child’s learning

- kept informed about the support your child is getting

- involved in reviewing how they are doing

- Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...

- Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

- Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Class Teacher

Responsible for:

- Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the AHT Inclusion know as necessary.

- Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.

- Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

- Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Safeguarding Officer/Head Teacher

Responsible for:

- The day to day management of all aspects of ‘safeguarding’ this includes support for children and families involved with Social Care.

- The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

- She will give responsibility to the SENCO and Class Teachers and the Learning Support Teacher but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

- She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN Governor

Responsible for:

- Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Kirkby Church of England Primary?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

- That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

- That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

- Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

- Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.

- Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Small groups work working on specific targeted work.

This group, often called Intervention groups by schools, may be

- Run in the classroom or outside.

Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups.

Stage of SEN Code of Practice: SEN Support

Which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

For your child this would mean:

- S/he will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.

A Teaching Assistant/Teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy or Occupational Therapy groups

AND/OR Individual support for your child of less than 20 hours in school

Stage of SEN Code of Practice: SEN Support

Which means they have been identified by the class teacher/Learning Support Teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

- Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

- Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

- Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.

- You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

- You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

- The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

- Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

- Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise

- A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group

- A group or individual work with outside professional

- The school may suggest that your child needs some agree individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual Support

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.  This may be from:

- Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

- Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

- The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN Support.

After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than SEN Support level to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEN Support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

- Severe, complex and lifelong

- Need more than 20 hours of support in school

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

- If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

- If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO or Head Teacher

- If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up am meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

- listen to any concerns you may have too

- plan any additional support your child may receive

- discuss referrals that may be made to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

- The school budget, received from Knowsley LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

- the children getting extra support already

- the children needing extra support

- the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

- And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

- All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?

Directly funded by the school:

- Learning Mentor

- Learning Support Teacher

- Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school as part of the ‘Chance to Talk Project’.  Each school contributes and funds for the service come from the Kirkby Collaborative.

- Traded Services Agreements; school are able to purchase extra sessions of services such as the Educational Psychology service.

- Counselling Services

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

- Autism Outreach Service

- Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

- Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).


Provided and paid for by the Health Service (St Helens & Knowsley NHS Trust) but delivered in school:

- School Nurse

- Occupational Therapy

- Physiotherapy

- Specialist Nurse Services – e.g. Diabetes, PKU, Transplant, bowel conditions.

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

- The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

- The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND.   This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASC and Speech and language difficulties.

- Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. Speech & Language

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

- Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

- Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

- Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

- Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

- Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

- His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing, numeracy and science.

- If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’.

- At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

-Children at School Action Plus will have an IEP which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.

- The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

- The AHT Inclusion will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?

- The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

- The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

- All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.

- IEP’s will be reviewed with your involvement each term.

- Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

- A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

How is Kirkby C of E accessible to children with SEND?

- The building is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps.  We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

- After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.

- Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

- If your child is moving child to another school:

- We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.

- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

- When moving classes in school:

- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All IEP’s will be shared with the new teacher.

- If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

- In Year 6:

- The SENCO will liaise with SENCO’s to discuss the specific needs of your child.

- Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

- Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

If you have any concerns regarding SEN matters do not hesitate to contact us.

SEN Aug 17 Knowsley